Do you want to learn how to start a blog and make money? A blog gives you various tools to express your knowledge and thinking to a whole new crowd. You can write content, share your story with the whole world just through a little entertainment. But, blogging needs some advanced technical knowledge about the website.
Wants some make money! yeah, you can do that from blogging also. You can make a great income source from blogging. There are also lots of people who are doing blogging to bring full-time incomes and some are also getting passive income too. You can earn more than thousands of dollars by blogging.
Start a blog today! Do you want to learn how to start a blog? Finding the right niche and right information is very important for writing a blog. It’s not so complicated. It doesn’t matter what your age is, what’s the technical knowledge you have, just write down your idea and show to the whole world. Check our 15+ Great Online Tools For Content Writers which helps to write and publish blog content perfectly.
How to Start a Blog
Before starting a blog there are many valuable information you have to know. Some are: Which blog platform to choose? How to choose the best hosting service? How to choose a blog domain name? etc. Read our guidelines to get started with writing a blog.
What is a blog
A blog is one of the easiest ways to build a community, to inform and promote your product and also making a money-making site. You can check this article about 100 ways to earn money online without investment.
There are various reasons why people choose and love blogging. The most common reasons are:
- To build a community
- To increase writing skill
- To promote own product
- To make money
There are many ways to earn money from blogging. You can join various affiliate industries to promote their product and services, ell own product to your audience, showing banner of other industries, providing coupons and discounts for the product. See our freelance website checklist of 75+ Best Freelance Websites for Beginners and Professionals in 2020.
What do you need to start a WordPress blog
- A domain name
- A web hosting account
- A WordPress theme
- Laptop/PC with an internet connection.
WordPress.org vs WordPress.com
To start a blog, you have to choose a CMS and understand its framework. We have chosen WordPress as a content management system here. SO, what is a content management system (CMS)? Basically a CMS helps you to manage your entire site easily including security, upload photos, writing a post, manage pages, users, etc. If you don’t have much knowledge about coding, you can also manage the entire site easily.
WordPress comes in two forms: WordPress.org and WordPress.com. Here is the difference.
- If you want to use wordpress.com that’s means, WordPress company hosts your site and its content for you.
- WordPress.org means that you are the owner of your site and host it yourself
- You don’t get much control or customization over your blog.
- WordPress.org is a cool platform and you can manage, secure, customize the entire site by yourself. You can install more than thousands of coolest plugins for making your site unique and easily customizable.
We would recommend using wordpress.org to get started writing a blog.
Ready? Let’s get started.
Choose a perfect niche for your blog
First, you have to find out which niche is the best for you to write a blog. A niche is a topic you know and write about it most often. Finding a good niche is very important. You have to figure out who are your readers, how your blog can be profitable, how it adds value to your readers. Niche blogging helps you to create a particular market to get advertisers. Niche blog can be easily monetized, add various affiliate links by connecting with advertisers and finally, they are profitable.
How to choose a niche for your blog
Think about which topic is most interesting for you. Suppose you love to play cricket. You have lots of knowledge about cricket players, fields, batting, bowling, etc. So, you can start a blog about it. It’s all of your own opinions. So, choose a niche and write start about it.
How to properly Register a Domain Name
A domain name helps to represent your business or brand on the web. Choosing the right domain name is very important. To create a website you always need a domain name. No matter how big your website will be but you need a domain name. A domain name can be purchased from different domain registers. There are hundreds of domain register company where you can purchase a domain name.
Some registers are expensive and some are cheap. Various features are available from various parties. You have to think about your site budget, site goal and after that, you need to carefully choose register to purchase a domain name. You can check the 5 best Best Domain Registrars that will be best for you.
We will recommend you to purchase a domain from HostGator.com. It’s probably one of the cheapest (less than $3 per month) hosting providers. A domain name will cost around $10-15 a year, but with Hostgator, you can get that for FREE first year.
Price: For a .com website, it will cost you $12.95 per year.
How to Choose best Web Hosting provider
Here is the list of the top hosting provider in 2020 to start a blog. You can check and read full article here.
- A2 Hosting
- GoDaddy Hosting
There are many options for choosing a hosting server such as Hosting package pricing, disc space, speed, uptime, and much more.
It depends on your demand. We will recommend you HostGator which is one of the best hosting providers for WordPress.
How to Install and Setup WordPress Blog
How to Install WordPress
There are various ways to install to set up WordPress. Read: How to install WordPress
Step1: Finding Softaculous
Login to your cPanel. Find the software tab. Under the software tab, you will find softaculous Apps Installer. Click on it to go to the next page.
Step2: Go inside the installer
You will find the WordPress icon under Top Scripts. When you hover it, it will show an overview button. Click on it.
To start set up click on Install Now button. You will find certain groups of settings.
Step3: Details of settings
In this step we will take a detailed look at each setting.
Tab1: Software setup
- Protocol: WordPress default protocol is HTTP:// or http://www. If you have an SSL certificate, then you can choose https:// or https://www.
- Domain: Here you have to select your domain name (eg: yourname.com)
- In Directory: If you want WordPress URL as www.yourname.com then leave this field blank. If you want it as www.yourname.com/wp then put “wp” (or any other name) in this field. We will suggest you leave it blank.
Tab2: Site settings
Here you have to fill up your site name and site title as you wish. You can change it later also.
Tab3: Admin Account
It is the most important part of the WordPress installation.
- Admin Username: Sometimes user put their username as Admin which is by default. Write any username you wish but never use Admin which will cause your site hack.
- Admin Password: You can use a password generator for a strong password or put your desired strong password. But do not make a simple password like 123456 etc.
- Admin Email: Put your admin email. You will be notified by email for your WordPress site.
Tab4: Choose language
Choose your desired language. Eg: English.
Tab5: Select Plugins
The Limit Login Attempts is a very essential plugin for your site. For a particular IP address, you can revoke access after a fixed number of failed login attempts. You can also enable the multi-site option or do it later.
Tab6: Advanced option
- Database Name: WordPress default database name begins with ‘wp_ _’. Let’s give it anything you like.
- Table Prefix: WordPress database table names begin with ‘wp_’. Hackers try to gain access to tables with this term. So change it other’s name.
- Disable Update Notifications Emails: If you want to be notified of new WordPress releases or any update, keep it enabled.
- Auto Upgrade: When a new WordPress version available, it will automatically be upgraded.
- Auto Upgrade WordPress Plugins: When an update version for any plugin available, WordPress will upgrade it automatically.
- Auto Upgrade WordPress Themes: If checked, WordPress upgrade your installed theme automatically.
- Backup Location: choose the backup location to be used while backing up your site or keep it default.
- Automated backups: You can set up an automatic backup for a day, week, or month.
- Backup Rotation: You can set a backup rotation limit. Suppose you set once in a week. So, on the 2-time backup, it will delete 1st backup files. Thus, it saves your webspace.
Tab7: Select Theme
You can select a new theme here. But we suggest you do it later.
- Email installation details to: if you want to be notified details of this installation then write down your email address.
After that hit the install button.
Step4: Completing Installation
After hitting the install button it will proceed to the next page. You will see a progress bar (%) with installation status. It will take a few minutes to reach the progress bar 100%.
You will see a success message after the installation is finished. It will also show you a link to your website and WordPress admin area.
Congratulation, you have installed WordPress successfully.
Choose a WordPress Theme to Start a Blog
The visual appearance of your WordPress blog is controlled by themes. When you first visit your blog, it will look something like this. There are many themes to choose from. Read: List of Best WordPress themes
When you just get started with your blog, your theme is not important. Focus on writing content, increase your site traffic. Don’t worry about your site’s design too much until you have a sizable audience to tell you whether or not they like it.
You can select a new theme by visiting WordPress dashboard and clicking on Appearance > Themes.
You can also upload a new WordPress theme manually by clicking the upload theme button. Search for 7506+ free WordPress themes that are available in WordPress official themes directory. Sort them by popular, latest, featured, favorites, etc. When you have found desired theme, just click on the install button. After that, the install button will be changed and replaced with an Activate button. Then, click on it to Activate the theme. If you want to create a child theme check our guideline on how to to create a child theme.
Creating Your First Blog Post
Now we are going to create our first blog post. To create a blog post, click on the Posts » Add New menu in your WordPress dashboard.
Not write your content, add images, categories, tags then hit on publish button. Your post publish.
How to Install a WordPress Plugin
Plugins are essential to enhance site management and performance. You can enhance site security, improve SEO, image management, showing contact form, etc by installing various plugin. They always add a new feature to your site. Choosing the best plugin for your site is also very important. There is more than a thousand WordPress plugin that you can choose from.
You can install WordPress plugin by three methods.
- Installing a WordPress plugin by the searching method.
- By uploading
- By cPanel
To check the whole three methods visit our WordPress plugin installation guidelines.
Installing a WordPress plugin by searching method
First login to your WordPress site. Then visit the Plugins >> Add New page inside your WordPress admin area
This will open the plugin page where you can install WordPress plugin. Then search for your required plugin. Here, we are searching for Ninja Form plugin. After writing the plugin name in the search bar, it will immediately start searching.
Then Click on the “Install Now” button. It will immediately start downloading the Ninja Form plugin.
After installing click on the “Activate” button.
After that, the plugin will be activated and it will return to the plugin page. You can deactivate the plugin bu clicking on the ” Deactivate” button.
List of popular WordPress plugins
According to WordPress, there are more than 56600+ WordPress plugins. For any beginners, it is very difficult to find out which one is best for you.
Check out our list of best WordPress plugins. You can read our popular plugin list here.
- Security: WordFence, Sucuri
- SEO: Rank Math, Yoast SEO
- Design & Customization: Elementor, Divi Builder, Beaver Builder
- Backup: UpdraftPlus
- Contact form: Gravity Forms
- Performance: Autoptimize
- Caching: WP Super Cache
- Email: MailChimp
- CDN: Sucuri, Stackpath
- Affiliate: Thirsty affiliate
How to create a menu in WordPress
Menu helps your visitors to move one page to another. To create a navigation menu check our guidelines.
Go to your WordPress Dashboard. Click on Appearance > Menus. It will redirect to the Menu interface page.
Insert your menu name. We write it as Mymenu. Then click on the Create Menu button. Your menu has created.
How to display a menu in different sections of WordPress site?
Under the Main menu, you will see four different locations to place your menu bar. If you are using different theme then your menu option can be different.
- Primary Menu: This is the main menu of any site.
- Top Menu: To display the menu at the top of pages.
- Social Menu: To display the menu of social site.
- Footer Menu: To display the menu in the footer area.
You can select the checkbox which one you need. We are selecting Primary Menu. To save it click on Save Menu.
How to create a drop-down submenu in WordPress
Now you know how to create menus. So, let’s add pages/ posts/ custom links/ categories in menu. You’ll see a few options in the left sidebar.
- Pages: To add links to your published pages.
- Posts: Add links to your published posts.
- Custom Links – It will help you to add custom links which can be internal links or external links.
- Categories – To add links to different categories on your site.
Under pages, check the box of your pages. Then click Add to Menu. You’ll find your pages added to the right sidebar.
How to start a blog and make money
Are you worry about how to start a blog and make money! Now you have created a blog, writing different content, optimized it for SEO. Its time to learn how can you earn money from blog. Making money online is not difficult and there is hundreds of way to do this. You can do it without any investment by just having a computer with an Internet connection. Check our 100ways to make money guidelines.
There are a lot of different ways to successfully monetize your blog. However, there is no such thing as a get rich quick scheme. Don’t be fooled by the pictures of expensive cars and mansions because those are all fake.
1. Google AdSense: Connect your account to Google AdSense to make money. It is one of the largest advertisement platforms for bloggers.
2. Affiliate Marketing: Earn money by monetizing your website by connecting various affiliate sites. Connect with various affiliate marketers, show their product to your site. When a visitor makes a purchase by clicking your website link you will get a commission.
Do you have any questions about how to start a blog? or start a blog that makes money? We’d be happy to help – just leave a comment below.